Monday, February 16, 2015

Wine Tasting #2

Now that I actually know how to smell wine rather than just downing it like I would grape juice, I expect my wine tasting reviews to only get better from here on out! I tasted the following wines Thursday, January 26, 2015:

1.  Barton & Guestier's Chicken & Turkey

    
Variety: Syrah/Grenache blend

Region: Cotes du Rhone, France

Year: 2011

Price: $10

Critic Review: 
"This is a bright, fruit-forward red, filled with snappy cherry fruit. It's not overly rich or complex, but instead goes down easily, ending with just a light dusting of tannins." Joe Czerwinski, Wine Enthusiast

My Review: 
This was not a bad wine, but it was my least favorite of the five, and I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I didn't try it with food. This wine said it was from "The Pairing Collection," so it was obviously meant to compliment other flavors. On it's own, it was smooth but very heavy. Many good flavors of dark fruit came through. It was more acidic than I would prefer, but again, this acid would probably go great with something meaty and rich like chicken and dumplings or potato soup with bacon. Good wine for Thanksgiving. I'm making myself hungry now just thinking about it. 


2. Fontana Candida Frascati


Variety: Blend of Malvasia Bianca di Candia, Trebbiano, and Malvasia del Lazio

Region: Lazio, Italy

Year: 2011

Price: $10

Critic Review: 
Wine of the Week for Tampa Bay Times. "On the nose it offers light-as-a-zephyr lemon and a hint of grass. On the tongue it is ultra crisp and delightfully flinty, it's lemon and clementine flavors as smooth as old silk. At the end of a nice clean finish a dab of ripe pear takes a bow." Colette and John Bancroft, Times

My review: 
This wine does a great job of mixing equally strong flavors of lemon and honey. Those were by far the two strongest flavors, but they were not so strong as to cover up the nice floral aromas, and I think maybe, just maybe, I detected a slight taste of chamomile. It was very clean on the palate, and the tannins were exceptionally smooth. I tasted it slightly chilled with no food, and although it was a perfectly fine wine on its own, I think it would go well with sushi or caesar salad. 


3. Fox Hollow Chardonnay


Variety: Chardonnay

Region: Napa Valley, California

Year: 2012

Price: $6

Critic Review: 
"Aromas of nougat, apple puff pastry, and peach custard with a silky, fruity-yet-dry medium body and a tangy kiwi and lime finish." Tastings.com

My Review: 
A great value for the price. A nice fruity, smooth wine, but nothing to really distinguish it from most other Chardonnays. 


4. Fox Hollow Cabernet Sauvignon


Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon

Region: Napa Valley, California

Year: 2012

Price: $6

Critic Review: 
"Recommended Best Buy" -Tastings.com

My Review: 
Basically the pure definition of a Cabernet Sauvignon with no surprises thrown in. Jammy, cherry flavors. An okay wine for the price, but not very exciting. 


5. Opera Prima Sparkling Moscato


Variety: Muscat

Region: Castilla La Mancha, Spain

Year: 2014

Price: $8

Critic Review: 
"Presents an intense aroma of fresh grapes, fruit syrup, and hints of white flower petals." - World Market

My Review: 
A super simple, super sweet wine, good for a summer pool party. Nice and crisp, with citrus and apple flavors that are so light that it's probably best on it's own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment