Sunday, April 12, 2015

My Wine Milestone

This is an unofficial blog post - while other posts are aimed at getting points for my wine class, this post is just because I HAD TO get these thoughts out there on "paper." And that's because I am just SO EXCITED.

The reason for my excitement you ask? Or maybe you didn't ask. But this is my blog and I'm going to tell you anyways.

I finally, finally, FINALLY experienced the whole front/mid/back palate thing that all wine-o's (including my professor) talk about! And it was with some $10 Gamay: Henry Fessey, 2010.

This whole semester, I could never get past the initial bite of alcohol and whatever fruit decided to hit me first. My definition of a "smooth finish" was simply that it didn't burn my throat on the way down.  But NOW I can actually talk the talk.

It started fruity kool-aidish, mid-palate gave me a bit more spicy cinnamon, and it ended with a weird herbal (almost vicks vapor rub) sensation. And it was pure awesome.

This is the moment that I consider this wine class to be a success. I now feel much more confident in my ability to drink and talk about wine at the big kids' table.

No comments:

Post a Comment