Sunday, April 5, 2015

Wine Tasting #4

The Vintage Cellar had some pretty nice wines for tasting this week. Here are my thoughts on them:

1. Grande Reserve des Bastides Gaillac



Variety: 20% Sauvignon Blanc, 50% Len de I'el (a new one for me!), 30% Mauzac

Region: Gaillac, France

Year: 2013

Price: $9.95

Critic Review: "5 stars. Excellent, slight sauvignon blanc undertone quite fresh easy drinking with food or on it's own." - Vivino.com

My Review: I was excited to try a new grape variety, but I found it difficult to tell exactly what it tasted like because this was a blended wine. I would've fathered my first fast of a grape to be pure. Nevertheless, It was a nice clean wine with bright fruit flavors. There was a malic acidity to it just to the point to make it refreshing, but not sour. (I wouldn't give it 5 stars like the above critic, though.)


2. Sean Minor, Vin Gris Rose



Variety: Pinot Noir

Region: Carneros, CA

Year: 2013

Price: $8.95

Critic review: "The Vin Gris is a bright and vibrant salmon color with cherry, strawberry, cranberry and ripe watermelon aromas on the nose.  On entry, the wine displays bright strawberry flavors. Throughout the mid-palate and finish, raspberry and cherry fruit characters are balanced with spicy and crisp acidity that linger creating a refreshing and lengthy finish." - Vintage Cellar

My Review: A good rose, though a bit more dry than I was expecting. I detected notes of cinnamon or nutmeg with the strong fruit flavors.


3. Laude



Variety: Montepulciano d'Arezzo

Region: Abruzzo

Year: 2012

Price: $8.95

Critic Review: "This opens with dark aromas of leather, tobacco, cured meat, plum and prune. It shows soft tannins and loads of dark fruit on the finish." - Vintage Cellar

My Review: I was expecting such a young red to have intense tannins, but the Vintage Cellar's description rang true. The tannins were soft, and the whole wine was smooth all the way down. Very well-crafted for the price, I would say! Heavy, jammy, smoky, charcoal flavor. Probably would be much better with food, perhaps steak or ribs.


4. Charles Thomas



Variety: 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre

Region: Rhone, France

Year: 2013

Price: $8.95

Critic Review: "Clear ruby wine with overtones of red berry fruits. Round and supple with smooth aftertaste. A good all round red wine for meat courses, poultry and light cheeses. Best drunk now while fresh with good keeping up to 4 years." - Vintage Cellar

My Review: Honestly, I didn't really like this wine. I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with the wine, per se; it was likely my personal preference getting in the way of me enjoying it. I could definitely taste the Syrah (it says 50% but it tasted to me like 80%) and I think it was a bit too intense for me. All I tasted was Syrah grape and then alcohol; I wasn't able to even pretend I could get anything else out of it. I would be willing to try it again later, when my tastes have matured (or if I had food with me).

5. Peter Mertes Platinum



Variety: Riesling

Region: Rheinhessen, Germany

Year: 2013

Price: $8.95

Critic Review:This quality Riesling is crisp, clean and easy drinking. Floral and fruit aromas suggest sweet melon and honey with enough acidity to ensure a beautifully balanced and versatile wine." - Vintage Cellar

My Review: Low on alcohol and high on sweetness, this one was delicious and refreshing, but definitely not something you could have with every meal. The price is right, though, so I'd definitely buy a bottle or two for drinking on its own or with something sweet and light like a vanilla yogurt parfait. Because it's Easter, I bought a bottle and drank a glass with a handful of jelly beans. Every little girl's dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment