Friday, April 17, 2015

Wine Tasting #5

It was cold and rainy day today, but the Vintage Cellar was warm and dry, and there were some nice wines this week!

1. Dibon Cava



Variety: 45% Macabeo, 25%Xarel-lo, 30% Parellada

Region: Catalonia, Spain

Year: 2014 (I'm guessing)

Price: $9.95

Critic Review: "The nose offers regal yeast and richness, while the palate has complexity to prop ip apple, citrus, and grapefruit flavors. Solid from front to back, with health and freshness." Vintage Cellar (88 points Wine Enthusiast)


My Review: Good bodied wine, with a lot of fruit-forward aromas. If I didn't drink, I still would consider buying this wine for the smell alone. I've had Macabeo before, but had never tasted the grapes. There was a lot of complexity in this wine from the mixture of varietals, and I wish I could pinpoint which flavors/aromas were from which grape!


2. Marques de Caceres




Variety: Verdejo

Region: Rueda, Spain

Year: 2013

Price: $9.95

Critic Review: "Fresh, clean and intense bouquet enlivened by notes of citrus fruit with a depth of pears and apples. Fresh and full in the mouth. Good length and a refreshing finish. Has all the character of the best from its appellation." - Wine.com

My Review: This wine had a very fruity, summery flavor. Very simple, almost  to the point of plain, but not bad if you're just looking to casually sip something at the pool. I usually like verdejo a lot, but this one was a bit to acidic for my taste. It made the inside of my cheeks feel dry. Perhaps it would be better chilled. 


3. Breca Tovana



Variety: Garnacha (Old Vine)

Region: Munebrega, Spain

Year: 2013

Price: $8.95

Critic Review: "Aromas of blackberries, plum, and cherries fill the glass and develop into luscious flavors of black stone fruit. Long, supple tannins." Vintage Cellar

My Review: This wine was a delight, with dark fruit flavors with notes of clove and a really smooth mouthfeel. A quality wine, considering the price! Would love to try this again with milk chocolate, especially the type with a bit of chili powder in it! Spanish flavors for a spanish wine, I might have to make this part of my next wine dinner!


4. Rare Red



Variety: Zinfandel, Prinitivo, Sangiovese, Merlot

Region: California

Year: 2012

Price: $9.95

Critic Review: (95 points, best of class, California Appellation.) "The attributes of the four varietals all contribute to the excellence of this robust blend. Merlot gives character and structure. Zinfandel and Primitivo add body, depth, color, and raspberry/blackberry aromas. Sangiovese mitigated the other more tannic components with softness and bright fruit flavors. All constituents harmonize with each other and create increased syndergistov complexity. This rare wine is medium bodied and fragrant with instantly appealing, fruit-forward characteristics." L.A. Wine Company

My Review: This was an interesting wine to say the least, and I think it was well-made. I think a lot of other people would really like this wine, but it doesn't really fit with my personal preferences. I'm really into Sangiovese right now, and I'd much rather have that straight up, rather than cloud it with a bunch of other grapes. This is a wine I would come back to in the future, though. It would probably be really good with a big old bacon cheeseburger. 

5.Jam Jar



Variety: Moscato

Region:Western Cape, South Africa

Year: 2014

Price: $8.95

Critic Review: "Flavors of peach, apple, lychee, and orange blossom with a lively bolt of acidity. Fancy enough for a special occasion toast, yet sweet-natured enough to enjoy every day." -Jam Jar

My Review: This wine embodies the phrase "short and sweet and to the point." If you're into sweet wines (which I very much am, at this early point in my wine journey), this one would be sweet enough for a child to like (not that I'm promoting the delinquency of minors). The strongest flavors I got from this were of apples and skittles; if you have a problem with skittles than there must be something wrong with you. (Also, this is the first wine I've had from South Africa!)

No comments:

Post a Comment